2010-01-13

Arrival

I have decided to write this blog in English, not in Russian. When I was in Berlin, people complained that they could not read мой берлинский дневник.

I arrived in Edmonton, Alberta, on Sunday, January 10, about an hour early. My luggage was left behind at London Heathrow. Hard luck! So this meant wearing the same things on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday... (which I hated). About two hours ago my suitcase was delivered. Thank God and Air Canada Baggage Delivery!

What has happened since my arrival? I am living on campus, in HUB Mall, close to the Arts Building, where the Wirth Institute is situated (on level 3, which seems to be the first floor). I had a meeting with the director, Prof. Szabo, and was introduced to the Head of Modern Languages and the Head of the Linguistics Department. We fixed two lectures, so far. One will be on "Emotions across languages in football commentaries", the other on "Silences in Russian" (I still have to think about a subtitle). Today, Prof. Szabo invited me to lunch in the Faculty Club, and on Monday I had a Japanese meal with a Czech colleague from the Institute, a Swede and an American who speaks Norwegian and Icelandic.

Информация для тех, кто читает по-русски: http://www22.brinkster.com/yfleysher/rus/e7.shtml

P.S. The photo shows people waiting for their luggage at Edmonton Airport. At that time I still had hope ... (My time: Tuesday, 12 January, 7:51 pm)

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen