2010-01-19

Lecture

On Tuesday I gave my first talk here at UoA. Jelena Pogosjan kindly invited me to her seminar on "Russian contemporary literature in the mirror of Western criticism" (MA studies, MLCS). She asked me to speak about the role of Slavic studies in Austria and Germany. Elena's students are native speakers - a situation I knew all to well from my time at Humboldt University in Berlin.

The role of Slavic studies here at UoA is three-fold: Russian, Ukrainian and Ukrainian folklore - the latter two being more prominent that the first one. As you already know, this has to do with the ethnic minority group of Ukrainians living here in Alberta.

I spoke for about 40 minutes, and then we had a short discussion. Afterwards I left since Jelena wanted to discuss a text written by Boris Gasparov (Columbia University, NY) her students had to prepare for today: "V poiskakh 'drugogo'". If you are an MA student in Innsbruck and feel like reading this text, try here.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen