2010-01-15

Around campus

Yesterday Prof. Szabo, the Director of the Wirth Institute, took me on a trip round campus. Believe it or not, but I haven't even been to the city centre (- so busy am I working here -) but I've decided to go there on Saturday. The trip around the university gave me an idea of how big the campus is - from the science buildings in the north to the clinics in the south. Somewhere near the river valley Prof. Szabo stopped the car and I had a beautiful view over the Saskatchewan River with Edmonton's skyline opening up on the other side of the river. Unbelievable that about a century ago the town had only about 700 inhabitants (now there are about 900,000), and the Province of Alberta is the richest in Canada because of the huge oil reserves discovered in the early 1950s.

And then I got a special treat. I was taken to Prof. Szabo's favourite shops where we bought Austrian Topfengolatschen, brown bread, Polish ham, Italian pasta ... Getting around town is done best by car, especially if you live here permanently, I am told. But since University station is next to HUB, I'll take the train on Saturday. There is a video on Youtube you can watch if you like ...

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen